If my 17-yr-old self had any idea she'd end up excited about the plans we're making and the changes we're embracing....well, she'd be FURIOUS! Indeed the news I'm happy to share with you embodies several of my "never" statements. I mean, seriously, I really should have known this was coming...
After 2 years of adventure in Seattle, we're excited to announce that God is calling our family to a new experience. Shawn has accepted the position as Director of the Bishop Hodges Pastoral Center for the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston in West Virginia...seriously, could somebody convince my husband to some day get a job that doesn't have the longest title ever? Anywho...I digress. Thankfully, a colleague who's there now had the insight to see that Shawn might be a really great fit for them and invited us to prayerfully discern. We're so glad he did and SO looking forward to this new opportunity that will allow Shawn to use his gifts in a more hands-on way once again as he leads the staff and teens who attend their retreat center and summer camp programs, as well as hopefully have a large role in starting a newly-developing mission trip program that will be hosted from this facility and reach out to the good people of WV who are in great need of assistance.
As for family life, we're all incredibly excited to be returning to on-site retreat and camp life. This is one aspect of life we have greatly missed since moving here--who would have guessed we'd miss it enough to now not only choose a rural life again, but one that still isn't all that close to the vast majority of our family in friends. Crazy! I personally am also looking forward to the chance to serve in ministry together with my husband again, another aspect of life that we haven't been able to see fulfilled here. Doing ministry together is TOUGH, but is certainly so very good for our relationship with each other and with our Lord! I've missed having a role in that world and have seen through being unable to be a part of it here that I have a deeply-rooted passion for camp and retreat ministry and find great joy in being God's instrument for conversion of hearts through these experiences--watch out teens, here I come!
Of course, and here comes another huge "never", I'll have to find some solid balance between potential work and the needs of my children since, as a part of this move, we've chosen to also embark on the homeschool journey! WHOA. Seriously, there was once a time I thought there was nothing worse you could possibly do to your children and now I'm so thrilled that while I've felt my heart softening to it for quite some time, I'm blessed enough to hear the Holy Spirit's voice whisper to me that now is the time. I get to embrace, in that really special way, the full embodiment of being my children's primary educator. So cool!!
I'm running low on writing steam and want to get this posted today. That said, I'd be remiss to put it up and not express my great sorrow as well for the friendships we've made here that will take on a new incarnation now. There are some truly amazing people in western WA who will always have a piece of my heart, all of you for a variety of reasons. During our time here we've been incredibly blessed to always have the support we needed and people to keep us going in the tough ministry world that exists here on the west coast. It was such a hard decision to be able to let go of the compulsion to want to stay here and keep fighting the good fight because I love you all so much that I felt like walking away would mean that we personally are letting you down. Through some key conversations that gave good perspective to what the work here has been and would continue to be, and through lots of prayer and serious discernment, I've come to realize that if we're following the voice of God--and I believe with unwavering certainty we are--there is no way in which that can be a failure. I see now that the good work Shawn has done here is a huge blessing to all the aforementioned people whom I care so much about, but that now is also the time God has chosen for us to move on. My many thanks and much love to all of you! You'll be in our prayers and hearts.
Here's to Living the Never--I have a feeling it's gonna be good!
Peace be with you,
Anne
You, Shawn and your girls are truly a light in this world. No matter where you go, that light will illuminate all those around you. You've laid some wonderful foundational work for this next step in your lives. Your girls listen to you, respect you and you've more than proven your ability to stay calm, stay the course and raise bright, articulate, loving children. They are a teacher's dream come true and now you get to embrace that role. As hard as it is to let you go, it wouldn't be right to contain that effervescent light from the opportunities ahead for your family. Let's make the most of your time remaining in Seattle. Love & prayers for you all!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to all of you. It will be good to have you back in the Big 12.
ReplyDeleteWhat tough decisions to make but so awesome that you are following God's calling! I can't wait to hear about all the newest adventures in your life.
ReplyDelete